OpenCFDTM regularly releases updates for OpenFOAMTM using a GIT repository, which can be conveniently used both for a fresh installation and to keep your current OpenFOAM installation up to date.
- Create a directory called OpenFOAM in your home directory: mkdir ~/OpenFOAM
- Enter the OpenFOAM directory: cd ~/OpenFOAM
- Download the OpenFOAM sources from the GIT repository: git clone git://repo.or.cz/OpenFOAM-1.6.x.git
- Download the third party packages from the OpenCFD website. If you are using a 64-bit system, you need to download also the 32-bit version of the third party package, containing cmake.
- Extract the third party packages corresponding to your architecture (32 or 64 bit) in the ~/OpenFOAM directory. If you use a 64 bit system, extract the 32-bit version of the third party packages in another directory from ~/OpenFOAM, and move the cmake directory to the ThirdParty directory into your ~/OpenFOAM directory.
- Create a symbolic link called ThirdParty-1.6.x pointing to ThirdParty-1.6: ln -s ~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6/ ~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6.x
- Open your ~/.bashrc file in a text editor and add the line: . $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x/etc/bashrc
- Enter the ThirdParty-1.6.x directory: cd ~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6.x
- Rebuild Paraview with the following commands (you need qt4 development libraries installed in your system. Check the README file coming with OpenFOAM for a list of working versions)
- rm -rf paraview-3.6.1/platforms
- Enter the ~/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x directory: cd ~/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x
- Rebuild OpenFOAM typing ./Allwmake
Once OpenFOAM 1.6.x is built for the first time, you can easily keep it up to date using GIT.
Update an existing installation of OpenFOAM 1.6.x.
- Enter the ~/OpenFOAM directory: cd ~/OpenFOAM
- Check for updates: git pull
- If there are updates, rebuild OpenFOAM as follows:
- cd ~/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6.x
These operations should be repeated often, in order to keep an up to date installation of OpenFOAM and obtain the latest bug fixes.
This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software and owner of the OPENFOAM® and OpenCFD® trade marks.