GeekoCFD 4.0.0 is now available for download from SUSE Gallery. The release is based on the recently released openSUSE 12.2, and relies on updated versions of all major applications and system components.
The most important changes and additional features are:
- Updated version of OpenFOAM® 2.1.x (x > 1, Including commit 969dc72c1aad45b98224e74917984401bdc76b82 – Wed Aug 29 2012)
- Upgraded packages according to openSUSE 12.2 release
- Re-introduced selection of octave-forge packages
- New Hyper-V image added to the choice of virtual images
Additionally, some decisions on future developments were taken:
- The release of GeekoCFD 4.0.0 signs the end of life of GeekoCFD 2.2.0, since its base distribution, openSUSE 11.4 will stop being supported two months after the release of openSUSE 12.2.
- The 32-bit release of GeekoCFD is dropped. Starting with the release of GeekoCFD 4.0.0 and GeekoCFD text mode, only the 64-bit version will be maintained. This was decided based both on time constraints and on the fact that the number of downloads of GeekoCFD is significantly higher than the one of GeekoCFD 32-bit. Most of the recent machines are capable of running 64-bit operating systems, also in virtual environments. In case there is a need for a 32-bit version, please let me know.
A summary of the features of this release follows:
- OpenSUSE 12.2 – 64 bit
- Kernel 3.4.6
- gcc 4.7.1
- KDE 4.8.4
- Scientific software
- gmsh 2.6.1
- wxMaxima and Maxima
- Octave and an almost complete selection of packages from octave-forge
- OpenFOAM® 2.1.x
- Paraview 3.12
- Development tools
- DDD 3.3.12
- Eclipse Juno with CDT
- vim with gitdiff
- Other software
- Firefox 15.0
- Gimp 2.8.0
- LibreOffice 3.5
As usual, thanks to the SUSE Studio team and to the openSUSE project, without whom the creation of GeekoCFD would have not been possible without SUSE Studio and the openSUSE project.
This offering is not approved or endorsed by OpenCFD Limited, the producer of the OpenFOAM software and owner of the OPENFOAM® and OpenCFD® trade marks. Alberto Passalacqua is not associated to OpenCFD Ltd.